ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Educational expeses in India for a US born child

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

msingh100
Newly Registered

Educational expeses in India for a US born child

Post by msingh100 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:20 pm

Hi,

I am going to have my baby born in US after couple of months. I got to go back to India after an year or so. I will get my child education in India. So would it be expensive to get him education in India as he would be a US born (US passport) child. Are the fees drastically different in India in private schools for a US born child and India born child. Any other good or bad experiences, any body has with the US born child in India. Would it be good to have US Passport with PIO/OCI or Indian citizenship for my kid. If giving education in India is not a problem to US born child then I would like to keep US citizenship for him. I would appreciate your information/knowledge about this.

Thanks
Msingh

sheetaxml
Newly Registered

Post by sheetaxml » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:30 pm

Can you look for OCI. It gives your child all resident legal rights in india.

Thanks

curious2006
Newly Registered

educational expenses in India

Post by curious2006 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:47 pm

Hi,

I am looking for similar information. By the way, have you confirmed with the Indian embassy that you can apply for an Indian passport for a US born child ( I assume here that both parents are Indian citizens with Indian passports).

If you still take US passport for the baby and the baby takes a PIO card (my understanding is that a minor cannot apply for OCI), is the baby allowed to study (school and college) in India with a PIO card? I have heard rumours that many schools in metro cities in India charge higher fees for children with non-Indian passports. I have also heard that many Central admissions to Engg and Medical colleges are open only to Indian nationals/passport holders. Some states may also not allow children with foreign passports under normal quota and charge NRI fees (IITs charge higher fees I think).

Would welcome results of any research you might do in this area.

Thanks
curious2006