ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse and child visa question

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

wizardofoz2012
Newly Registered

Spouse and child visa question

Post by wizardofoz2012 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:15 pm

Hi everyone,

I'd just like to say that this forum has been FAR more beneficial than the UKBA website at helping deduce whats what.

Anyhow, I was hoping some of the wiser heads here could help me with my query.

I am a British citizen living in the UK, and my wife is Indian (living in India). She is due with our first very soon javascript:emoticon(':D')

I have decided to apply for an Indian passport for the baby, as this takes around 2~ weeks (rather than apply for a British passport which can take between 12-16 weeks in India). I then plan on bringing the misses and baby to the UK, and getting the baby a British passport.

For my misses I will be applying for a spouse visa with the following:

1 - 2 photos with her name on the back
2 - Her passport, and a photocopy of my passport (or do I need to submit my original passport?)
3 - Mine and her Birth certificates
4 - Our marriage certificate
5 - Approx. 8 photos of us together (2 from the wedding and 6 from various places thereafter, including our honeymoon), with a date and description on the back of each.
6 - 5 sets of tickets of various flights back and forth I have made before, during and after getting married (and another set of tickets showing our honeymoon tickets, hotels bookings etc).
7 - Some email transcripts of our conversations (I make phone calls using O2 international favourites on a Pay-as-you-Go sim so can't really show this).

Forgot to mention, her pregnancy reports!

8 - IF possible - Orange phone bills showing text messages sent from my phone to hers
9 - Her english lang test
10 - 6-7 months of my personal statements, 6-7 months of my business account statements
11 - I work as an IT contractor, so I will include a letter from accountant (with his phone no.) explaining my finances and that I am the sole shareholder and MD of my Co., my dividend vouchers, my business registration certificate, my vat cerificate and my last 3 quarterly vats returns. I may also get a letter from my business account manager to confirm that I and the owner of my account (and also his phone no.)

Forgot to add, I will also include my recent contract contracts, and the invoices for the work done, going back for the last 6 months, as proof of work.

12 - My tenancy agreement, a letter from my landlord with his phone no., and a printout from the land registry website showing my landlord owns the property.

All of this will be preceeded with a covering letter explaining things in detail. Is this enough do you reckon? Or am I missing something blindingly obvious?

Also, for my newborn, I know I fill in the same application form as I do for my spouse, but what documentation would I require, as I cannot for the life of me seem to find this listed anywhere?

I will be submitting both applications together, but does this mean I will have to re-submit all the above listed docs for the baby (if they are required), or is the baby's birth certificate and passport going to be enough?

A huge thanks in advance to everyone who replies!!

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:59 am

A British child may apply for a British passport or a Certificate of Entitlement to the Right of Abode.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

wizardofoz2012
Newly Registered

Post by wizardofoz2012 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:01 am

Thanks for your reply.

Any ideas on how long it would take me to apply for and actually receive a certificate of entitlement? Anyone had any experience of this in Hyderabad/India?

Also, do you know if once I receive the CoE for my child, would the child then require an exit permit of any sort to leave India, or would immigration simply view the CoE as a 'permanent visa' of sorts?

Thanks again.

pennylessinindia

Post by pennylessinindia » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:29 pm

wizardofoz2012 wrote:Thanks for your reply.

Any ideas on how long it would take me to apply for and actually receive a certificate of entitlement? Anyone had any experience of this in Hyderabad/India?

Also, do you know if once I receive the CoE for my child, would the child then require an exit permit of any sort to leave India, or would immigration simply view the CoE as a 'permanent visa' of sorts?

Thanks again.
Would not take any longer than a settlement visa

Child only needs exit stamp if has British Passport as this is in lieu of the Indian visa
pennyless

wizardofoz2012
Newly Registered

Post by wizardofoz2012 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:33 pm

Thanks again.

I phoned the UKBA today, and they stated that *if* I were to apply in the UK then it would take 8 weeks, which seems strange as the time given for a new passport (first time) is around 3-6 weeks (or a week using the fast-track service).

I would have thought that a CoE would have taken far less than 8 weeks especially here in the UK (not that it applies to me of course). I guess I'll have to call VFS in Hyderabad tomorrow to double check, although checking the link below indicates it could take upto 60 days:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/count ... ableAnchor

Any ideas on if I've got everything for my wife's application?

Thanks

wizardofoz2012
Newly Registered

Post by wizardofoz2012 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:42 am

Just to update everyone, I did phone VFS, and they stated 3 months to obtain a CoE (this was after the agent confirmed with one of his colleagues/manager) - if this is really the case, it does seem an awfully long time - the same amount of time it would take to obtain a British passport. Does anyone have any experience of getting a CoE?

Also, I was abit unsure with regards to whether I would have to obtain a seperate certificate of citizenship for my child first, or could I simply apply for the CoE immediately?

Many thanks again