ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

SET (O) and FLR (M) on the same day at PEO

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

vnkotak

SET (O) and FLR (M) on the same day at PEO

Post by vnkotak » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:36 pm

Hi,

I am eligible for ILR now, however my wife is not. She has not yet completed 2 years in this country. So I need to apply for SET(O) for myself and extend her current visa through FLR(M).

My question is, can we apply for both the application on the same day. I mean, my application in morning and her in the afternoon?

I was quite confident about this until this afternoon as last time I called up HomeOffice helpline, the lady on the call said that you will get the letter of approval (or some kind of letter) that my ILR is approved on the same day (obviously if my application is passed) and while applying for my wife's visa, that is through FLR (M) later on the day, we can give that letter to prove my ILR.

However this afternoon, I again called up homeoffice helpline to check few things and I thought to double check previous answers so I asked the guy again if I could do that, but then the guy today on the call (was bit rude) said NOOO we can't do that. Until I get my biometrics card, I can't apply for my wife's visa.

So, I am totally confused now.. Has anyone done something like this earlier, applying for SET (O) and FLR (M) on the same day.

I have actually already booked my appointment for end of April in Glasgow PEO at morning and for my wife's on the same day afternoon.

Our visa expires in first week of May, so if I wait for my biometrics card to arrive (not sure how many days does it take), and then we separately go to Glasgow to apply for her would be bit tough journey.

Plzzz help.

Regards,
Vishal Kotak

PS: Sorry for long post........................

vnkotak

Post by vnkotak » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:42 am

Sad.. no response till date..

No one has done like this earlier?? Any help will be appreciated...

Thansk a lot in advance too :)

fahadz1
BANNED

Re: SET (O) and FLR (M) on the same day at PEO

Post by fahadz1 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:03 pm

welll every time you call HO you will get different answers. They dont know any thing i believe...

i have seen the case where some one had done that. you have to search this forum

rreddy

Post by rreddy » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:19 pm

once it is approved you will get Bio metric card in 2 -3 working days.

Even my case is same... I am send my wife's FLR M by post.

chosenaik

Post by chosenaik » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:43 pm

I believe and am pretty sure thjrough discussions with friends and others whom have applied fo wife's FLR(M) that ILR letter is all you need for the FLR(M).

However, the risk is that they do not approve your ILR same day and need to perform additional checks. This means your wife can not apply for FLR(M) and her stay becomes invalid and she has tolave immediately. In suich a case you can not apply for FLR(M) when your ILR comes as her visa will already have expired.

If you want to avopid any risk, the best thjing to do is aply for an Tier extension for both yourself and your wife. This way you get another 2 years.

You can then apply for ILR and even if they take long to approve your ILR your wif;es visa will still be avlid and she can apply when your ILR letter comes.

I know this sounds expensive but the risk of not getting approved ame day is quite how these days (if you read most of the psost tehse days).

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:48 pm

chosenaik wrote:I believe and am pretty sure thjrough discussions with friends and others whom have applied fo wife's FLR(M) that ILR letter is all you need for the FLR(M).

However, the risk is that they do not approve your ILR same day and need to perform additional checks. This means your wife can not apply for FLR(M) and her stay becomes invalid and she has tolave immediately. In suich a case you can not apply for FLR(M) when your ILR comes as her visa will already have expired.

If you want to avopid any risk, the best thjing to do is aply for an Tier extension for both yourself and your wife. This way you get another 2 years.

You can then apply for ILR and even if they take long to approve your ILR your wif;es visa will still be avlid and she can apply when your ILR letter comes.

I know this sounds expensive but the risk of not getting approved ame day is quite how these days (if you read most of the psost tehse days).
Presumably the OP is not applying on the day his and his wife's leave expires - in which case he will have sufficient time to make an in time FLR(M) application before his wife's leave expires.

chosenaik

Post by chosenaik » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:30 pm

Agreed. This would only be a rsik if there wasn't enough time for the additional checks (if applicable) to be done.

vnkotak

Post by vnkotak » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:54 am

Thanks for the response guys.

While discussing the situation with one of my frnd who fall under same category as mine said that when he applied his ILR a month ago, the case worker said that the dependant's ILR becomes invalid the same day you get your ILR and we have 28 days to apply wife's FLR(M)...

Not sure if this is true or not, but that's what I heard..

Anyways, I think, I will keep with the same appointment and see if my ILR is approved on the day and if I get the letter then before applying for wife's FLR (M) on the same day in afternoon, I will check with the person (before paying money) if they say yes it is fine, then I will apply or else I will wait for my ILR to come and apply for wife's extension through post...

fahadz1
BANNED

Post by fahadz1 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:43 am

vnkotak wrote:Thanks for the response guys.

While discussing the situation with one of my frnd who fall under same category as mine said that when he applied his ILR a month ago, the case worker said that the dependant's ILR becomes invalid the same day you get your ILR and we have 28 days to apply wife's FLR(M)...

Anyways, I think, I will keep with the same appointment and see if my ILR is approved on the day and if I get the letter then before applying for wife's FLR (M) on the same day in afternoon, I will check with the person (before paying money) if they say yes it is fine, then I will apply or else I will wait for my ILR to come and apply for wife's extension through post...
what u mean ILR dependant ?

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:41 pm

the leave does not become invalid. no where in the law does it say this.

you can apply on the same day as long as your application is decided.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:42 pm

fahadz1 wrote:

there is not such this as 'ILR dependent' there is 'spouse of a person present and settled in the UK' or 'child of a person present and settled in the UK'

vnkotak

Post by vnkotak » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:05 pm

fahadz1 wrote:

Hi fahadz1,

What I mean is that as currently my wife is on Tier 1 dependant, but as she has not completed 2 yrs in this country, means she can't apply for ILR (dependant)....

So, when I move to ILR she has to get the extension through FLR (M)..

But, as her current visa is on Tier 1 depedant and the new extension would be on ILR depedant (obviously not ILR).. Hence the Tier 1 visa becomes invalid on the same day when I get my ILR visa...

Not sure how much this is true, but that's what my friend told me when he went to apply his ILR and got this response from case worker.

vnkotak

Post by vnkotak » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:07 pm

Greenie wrote:

Thanks Greenie, Hope the thing you turns out to be true... I am just bit nervous as the customer service agent (whom I had word 2nd time) told me that we can't do it :(

Anyways, I will go with hope there and ask them if we can apply together.. If not, then I have booked another appointment in early may for my wife in early may.. hopefully I should get my ILR card by then...

Thanks for your response mate...

chosenaik

Post by chosenaik » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:52 pm

When you get your ILR yuour wife;s existing visa becomes defunct and she can not apply for ILR (unless she has been with you for 2 years in the UK). She has to get an FLR(M). I dont know what is the exact time that you are given but I'm guessing if you apply with in a month it shoukd be ok.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:54 pm

vnkotak wrote:
Greenie wrote:

Thanks Greenie, Hope the thing you turns out to be true... I am just bit nervous as the customer service agent (whom I had word 2nd time) told me that we can't do it :(

Anyways, I will go with hope there and ask them if we can apply together.. If not, then I have booked another appointment in early may for my wife in early may.. hopefully I should get my ILR card by then...

Thanks for your response mate...
the customer services agents are not caseworkers and often give out incorrect information.

innocentdevil
Diamond Member

Post by innocentdevil » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:12 pm

Simple explanation.

You get your ILR. I assume you have PEO appointment which is not on the last day your visa expires.

which means, the your wife's visa (Tier1 Dependant), expires on the same day your Tier1 visa expires. so lets say you applied for PEO on 1st August and your Tier1 visa expires on 28th Aug and does your wifes.

so on 1st Aug, you go to PEO and you get your ILR.

Once you have your ILR, then you can apply for your wife's spouse visa using FLR(M) which is still valid till 28th Aug.

hope this helps.

nionlight
Member of Standing

Post by nionlight » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:31 pm

innocentdevil wrote:Simple explanation.

You get your ILR. I assume you have PEO appointment which is not on the last day your visa expires.

which means, the your wife's visa (Tier1 Dependant), expires on the same day your Tier1 visa expires. so lets say you applied for PEO on 1st August and your Tier1 visa expires on 28th Aug and does your wifes.

Once you have your ILR, then you can apply for your wife's spouse visa using FLR(M) which is still valid till 28th Aug.

hope this helps.
dependent then will need to pass English exam isn't it?? Because it will be a spouse visa of a settled person?

innocentdevil
Diamond Member

Post by innocentdevil » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:09 pm

nionlight wrote:

hope this helps.
dependent then will need to pass English exam isn't it?? Because it will be a spouse visa of a settled person?
Yes, Life in the UK test. I think the LIUK or likewise is needed even for extension nowadays

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:11 pm

innocentdevil wrote:
nionlight wrote:

hope this helps.
Yes, Life in the UK test. I think the LIUK or likewise is needed even for extension nowadays
that's not correct - for FLR(M) then A1 english, not LIUK is required.

innocentdevil
Diamond Member

Post by innocentdevil » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:15 pm

Greenie wrote:
innocentdevil wrote:
nionlight wrote:

hope this helps.
thats what I meant by Likewise. i would rather do LIUK test as it will still be required for settlement hence saving time, hard work and money. my 2 pence though

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:17 pm

innocentdevil wrote:
Greenie wrote:
innocentdevil wrote:
nionlight wrote:
thats what I meant by Likewise. i would rather do LIUK test as it will still be required for settlement hence saving time, hard work and money. my 2 pence though
you cannot do the LIUK test instead of the A1 test - the LIUK test is not a test of speaking/listening - if a person applying for FLR(M) provided a LIUK test instead of an A1 english language test they would not meet the requirements. The OP has not even asked about English language so I am not sure why suddenly people are commenting on the thread with incorrect information.

innocentdevil
Diamond Member

Post by innocentdevil » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:24 pm

Greenie wrote:
innocentdevil wrote:
Greenie wrote:
innocentdevil wrote:
you cannot do the LIUK test instead of the A1 test - the LIUK test is not a test of speaking/listening - if a person applying for FLR(M) provided a LIUK test instead of an A1 english language test they would not meet the requirements. The OP has not even asked about English language so I am not sure why suddenly people are commenting on the thread with incorrect information.
ok my mistake. keep your panties on though :lol: :lol:

People not applying for ILR would need A1 instead of LIUK.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:30 pm

just post only when you know the answer and the information has been requested by the OP and other people won't have to go around correcting your incorrect information.

innocentdevil
Diamond Member

Post by innocentdevil » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:41 pm

Greenie wrote:just post only when you know the answer and the information has been requested by the OP and other people won't have to go around correcting your incorrect information.
calm down laddo. i have apologized so there's no need to go beetroot :evil:

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:43 pm

innocentdevil wrote:
Greenie wrote:just post only when you know the answer and the information has been requested by the OP and other people won't have to go around correcting your incorrect information.
calm down laddo. i have apologized so there's no need to go beetroot :evil:
you also told me to 'keep my panties on' .