ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Soupe visa for me, My wife want to ask for HB, Need HELP

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

bristol2012
Newly Registered

Soupe visa for me, My wife want to ask for HB, Need HELP

Post by bristol2012 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:41 pm

Hello,

Im on spouse visa for 2 years
just come to the Uk since a month
Im looking for a job, but nothing for now

My wife is a british citizen
she lost her job weeks befor I come,
she had to claim Housing benefit
it was okay

but, after I come here to live with her
she have to tell the city council that Im with her in the same house
now, she got a letter from them say:
+++++++++++++++++++++++
Also, I must advice you that I have to include your partner on your housing/council tax benefit claim as he is now part of your household. housing/council taxe benefit is public found. if your partner has no recours to public funds this may have an affect on his right to remain.
can you then confirm on writing if you wish to proceed with your housing/council tax benefit claim.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

what do you advice us to do now ?
please need answer

SoHopeful

Post by SoHopeful » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:34 pm

They will assess your wife based on any joint earnings, (but you are both unemployed so nothing) and as though she is a single person because you have no recourse to public funds.

luna11
Newly Registered

Re: Soupe visa for me, My wife want to ask for HB, Need HELP

Post by luna11 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:11 pm

bristol2012 wrote:Hello,
Also, I must advice you that I have to include your partner on your housing/council tax benefit claim as he is now part of your household. housing/council taxe benefit is public found. if your partner has no recours to public funds this may have an affect on his right to remain.
can you then confirm on writing if you wish to proceed with your housing/council tax benefit claim.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

what do you advice us to do now ?
please need answer
Hi we are in similar situation, go to HB section of council, inform them in writing that you are subject to immigration control with no public funds restriction on your passport and that the claim for housing benefit is for your wife only (brtish citizen) and they will then calculate the HB payable to your wife only. Make sure you get a copy of of the statement as proof you have informed them, you can add your name to the council tax bill but again inform them that council tax benefit is to be payable to your wife only for same reason as above.

SoHopeful

Post by SoHopeful » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:47 pm

Just remember the single person discount will no longer apply, so you may have to pay the difference after the council tax benefit.

SoHopeful

Post by SoHopeful » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:48 pm

Just remember the single person discount will no longer apply, so you may have to pay the difference after the council tax benefit.

luna11
Newly Registered

Post by luna11 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:56 pm

SoHopeful wrote:Just remember the single person discount will no longer apply, so you may have to pay the difference after the council tax benefit.
If they both unemployed there is no council tax payable.