ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR Sticker in Passport

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

tt

ILR Sticker in Passport

Post by tt » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:31 am

What is the present position regarding getting the ILR sticker/vignette into one's passport?

The ILR holder can leave and enter the UK using their present or past passports as proof of ILR (through the "indefinite leave to enter/remain" stamp), and in that sense, doesn't need the ILR sticker.

But if they wish to get the ILR sticker, is it simply a formality, since the proof of ILR is the most recent entry stamp in the passport. Couldn't do better than that.

So as long as the present passport - along with the passport with the "indefinite leave to enter/remain" stamp, if applicable - is presented to Home Office Croydon - - and you pay the required amount (how much is that nowadays?) - - and submit the Form NTL - -

--then the ILR sticker automatically goes into te passport?

I guess one of the points here is whether you could apply for a ILR sticker by mail, or by proxy, and whether any supporting documents would ever be needed (other than the passports).

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:50 am

See here
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:05 am

But can you travel with both passports - the old one with ILR stamp or sticker in it, plus the new one? Isn't that what the original poster was asking? I believe that you used to be able to, but the form for transfer doesn't say whether you can or not (as far as I can see), although elsewhere on the IND site it suggests that you can (at the bottom of the linked page).

tt

Post by tt » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:16 am

ppron747. That's one of the first places I looked at. However, when it comes to supporting documentation, it simply mentions that above and beyond providing what I've already mentioned, to if necessary show

Other documentary evidence to demonstrate that you and any dependant(s) applying for a no time
limit stamp have resided continuously in the UK since being granted indefinite leave.

Well, the fact that the passport shows last entry into the UK to be a ILR one is all they would need? Once in the UK, where the application is being made, you have already satisfied the authorities of your continuing ILR?

So I would imagine presenting the passports must be enough, unless you CAN'T do that, in which case, then, you would need to show other documentary evidence.

An ILR holder would want to post as little documentation as possible, I would imagine.

tt

Post by tt » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:25 am

Query whether someone could do an application in person on behalf of the ILR holder. Does the ILR holder him/herself have to make the application in person? Presumably not, if the whole thing could also be done by post.

The reason I am not totally relying on the Home Office website and referring these points here, is because it is a little wacky on the Returning Resident point - http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/applyi ... gresidents -

To apply for transfer of conditions, get form NTL (No Time Limit). You should send the completed form, by post, before your permission to stay ends. The application form will give you details of all the documents you will need to send with your application and where you should send it. There is a charge of £160 for postal applications.

All documents should be originals unless you have a good reason why you cannot produce them with your application. We will not normally accept photocopies.

If your permission to stay in the United Kingdom is running out, and you need to travel urgently, you can apply in person at one of the public enquiry offices listed on the back of this leaflet. There is a charge of £500 for applications made in person.

Am I missing something, or have they misunderstood which category the Form NTL falls into. ILR holders permission to stay running out of time??

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:54 am

tt wrote:The reason I am not totally relying on the Home Office website and referring these points here, is because it is a little wacky on the Returning Resident point - http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/applyi ... gresidents -

To apply for transfer of conditions, get form NTL (No Time Limit). You should send the completed form, by post, before your permission to stay ends. The application form will give you details of all the documents you will need to send with your application and where you should send it. There is a charge of £160 for postal applications... [etc]

Looks like poor copy-editing to me (i.e. someone has pasted text from another page on to this one, without stopping to think whether it is relevant in all its particulars). As you suggest, it doesn't inspire confidence in the quality or accuracy of the information on the website.

The only way that the part that you embolden could be construed as relevant is (because the page is ostensibly about 'returning residents') that the writer could conceivably have got mixed up with the two-year-out-of-the-UK rule for those with ILR. In that case, though, the wording is not right.

But the whole page is a muddle, because the end of it is about transferring information from one document to another for people who are in the UK at the time, who cannot be considered to be 'returning residents' ...

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:01 pm

Christophe wrote:But can you travel with both passports - the old one with ILR stamp or sticker in it, plus the new one? Isn't that what the original poster was asking? I believe that you used to be able to, but the form for transfer doesn't say whether you can or not (as far as I can see), although elsewhere on the IND site it suggests that you can (at the bottom of the linked page).
This
However you should be aware that you are able to travel with a new, valid passport without having your leave transferred provided that you carry with it either your old passport with your endorsement of leave, or the letter on which your leave was granted.
appears at the bottom of this page - it is associated with Form TOC, but says "leave", rather than "conditional leave", so presumably doesn't apply only to conditional leave. I've seen it quoted on this and other sites many times - and have seen no reports of anyone having had trouble with it.

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:09 pm

tt wrote:ppron747. That's one of the first places I looked at. ...
Had you said that, I would have left the reply to someone more knowledgeable. I assumed you hadn't, because of your saying "and you pay the required amount (how much is that nowadays?)" - which is explained at the top of the second page of the form...

tt

Post by tt » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:27 pm

Yes. I see that now. Thanks.

It would be interesting to know what others who have done this (used Form NTL) have been asked to submit. Hopefully, the bare minimum of things, since the ILR is something which is either there, or is not, once you are actually in the UK.