ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Adult born in UK - Applying for British Citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

salos
Newly Registered

Adult born in UK - Applying for British Citizenship

Post by salos » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:43 pm

I'm in a bit of a tricky situation right now hoping somebody here can help :)

I was born in the UK in 1991, to parents who were asylum seekers at the time.

Both my sibling and I got British passports in 2001 but neither of us were registered as British citizens. My parents weren't aware of the need to register, just assumed that being born in the UK = British.

With the British passports they thought there was nothing else to do i.e. register, because you need British citizenship to get a passport in the first place so we all thought it confirms that I am indeed a British citizen.

That first passport expired after 5 years and it was renewed with no problems to a new one in 2007, due to be expired in 2017.

Recently I had my name change so sent my passport to the IPS to get the new name on it. However they got back to me saying that they can't find it my citizenship on their records, and that the passport has been issued in error.

Now the tricky part is I am 21, so the two routes I have is form T, by which I prove I've lived here for the first 10 years of my life (I have) or by neutralisation. I will not resort to the latter, simply because I find the irrelevance of the test laughable and having to take it despite being born and bred in Britain is borderline insulting.

I'm annoyed because my parents became British citizens many years ago, whilst I was a minor, and could have easily registered me at the same time in a straight forward process if we weren't falsely led to believe by the IPS that I am a British citizen.

I want to ask if I can use Section 6.3.8 of the Nationality Instructions which states:

"Cases sometimes come to light where, due to official error, people
have been consularly registered while ineligible for such registration or
wrongly issued with British passports or certificates of entitlement to
the right of abode. As a result they might have lost age- or time-limited
entitlements to citizenship. So that they are not disadvantaged by the
official error we should be ready in such cases to construe the
application as an undetermined application for citizenship and process
it accordingly."

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

How would I go about using this? Do I write to the home office? or is there a specific application form for this very purpose of 'special cases'?

If this is not a realistic option for me, in that the IPS is unlikely to act in my favour in light of their error, then I will have to apply through form T.
The problem with this is that I have to provide evidence that I've lived here for the first 10 years of my life.

What kind of evidence would be acceptable? The guide lists some but it's too vague. My parents did not have any passports until 2001, so I can't prove that I haven't been out of this country for 90 days.
I've got school certificates and reports, although no medical records but I will try to retrieve them from my NHS clinic.

Just want to know how lenient they are with this evidence, what is considered 'sufficient' evidence? Do I have to provide evidence for every single year?

All advice would be much appreciated, thanks!

DEVONIAN

Re: Adult born in UK - Applying for British Citizenship

Post by DEVONIAN » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:35 pm

salos wrote: I will have to apply through form T.
The problem with this is that I have to provide evidence that I've lived here for the first 10 years of my life
Ask your parents, particularly your mum to confirm which GP(s) you were registered with from 1-10 years. These should be able to confirm that you received medical care over the period in question.

Secondly, ask your nursery and primary school(s) to confirm that you were enrolled there for pre-school and primary education. These should cover you for ages 5/6-11.

A combination of these two official confirmation (GP's and headteacher's letter(s)) should, IMHO, be acceptable proofs that you were resident here in the UK for the 1st ten years of your life. Good luck!

friendinneed

Post by friendinneed » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:52 pm

salos wrote:I want to ask if I can use Section 6.3.8 of the Nationality Instructions which states:

it accordingly."

How would I go about using this? Do I write to the home office? or is there a specific application form for this very purpose of 'special cases'?
You haven't lost either age or time-limited entitlement as you are still entitled to apply and so I cannot see why you be considered a special case.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:06 pm

friendinneed wrote:
salos wrote:I want to ask if I can use Section 6.3.8 of the Nationality Instructions which states:

it accordingly."

You haven't lost either age or time-limited entitlement as you are still entitled to apply and so I cannot see why you be considered a special case.
well he has because he hasn't been able to register as a British citizen as a child as he is now 21 so now has to meet more stringent rules.